Stuart Historical Timeline

Stuart Historical Timeline

1890
1890
Pineapple Fields

Morris Johns (far right side) with other single male pioneers to the Stuart area.  Many bachelor’s settled here, established their pineapple fields before seeking brides.

1903
1903
First Community Church

The first church building in Stuart, built in 1895 near the railroad tracks.  It was a community church (used by other denominations) but built by the Methodist congregation.  Across the track was the small juice stand settle up by Stanley Kitching in 1902 and the larger 1901 George Parks Store.

1904
1904
Stuart Hotel

In the Potsdam neighborhood, to the left was the new Robert McPherson home and nearby to the right was the Stuart Hotel.

1908
1908
Stuart’s Commercial Road

Stuart’s commercial road, Railroad Ave (later renamed Flagler Ave).  First building on left side is the Stanley Kitching 2nd store -very expanded, then the George Parks store, next but not in view was the Noah Parks home and the Broster and Susan Kitching’s business building with a boarding house upstairs.

1908
Frazier Creek

Scene of Frazier Creek with a small narrow wooden bridge across and homes nearby.  That path would eventually become Avenue D, then Alabama Ave and by the late 1920s named U.S. 1.

1912
1912
First Accredited School

Two story school built in 1909 for all grades.  Fully accreditation was by mid-1910s and the first high school graduates were the Stuart High Class of 1916.  It continued to serve as the only school until a new one was built in 1923.  Afterward, it served for years as the..Read More

1913
1913
First Bank Was Built

Along St Lucie Ave and corner of Osceola the first bank on the left was built in 1912 and in 1913 the Feroe Building on the corner of St Lucie and Flagler Avenues for businesses was constructed.

1913
Feroe Building

The Feroe Building (colorized) with its early tenants – Stuart Drug Store and the Hogarth Real Estate and Insurance office.

1916
1916
Ferrie

The ferry used to bring people, cars, and packages from one side of the St Lucie River to the other.

1917
1917
Auto Bridge

The construction of the first concrete auto bridge across the St Lucie River.  There was no bridge, other than the railroad bridge across the river.  The auto bridge opened in Feb. 1918.

1918
1918
Avenue A

In the Potsdam neighborhood was Avenue A – later named Camden Ave.  On this street were residential homes and apartment buildings.

1918
U.S. Flag Pole

At the Intersection of Railroad (Flagler) and St Lucie Avenues was the dedication of the US flag pole and flag.  The larger train depot was to the right and had been built in 1913.

1920
1920
Park on the Corner

At the Intersection of Railroad (Flagler) and St Lucie Avenues is shown the park on the corner opposite the Feroe Building, then the large Kitching-Eckess Store.  Closer to the river beyond the park was the home of Stanley Kitching and then the St. Lucie Hotel.

1920
E.G. Ricou Fish House

The E. G. Ricou fish house in Stuart out in the St Lucie River (approximately where the far end of Flagler Park is today).

1920
Auto Concrete Bridge

The popular auto concrete bridge, sometimes called the Flagler Bridge across the St Lucie River.  It served from 1918 to 1934, when the first Roosevelt Bridge was built and opened.

1922
1922
Coventry Hotel & Apartments

Built and operated by the Coventry family, the far left is the Coventry Hotel built in 1914 and then right side is the Coventry Apartments built in 1922.

1923
1923
Various Businesses

St Lucie Avenue with the Feroe Building (Post Office came in 1916) and the Stuart Drug Store and various business offices upstairs.  Then the 1912 bank building.  Across Osceola the new Fuge / Osceola Building constructed in 1921.  The Stuart Bank was housed in the corner location after it opened...Read More

1925
1925
Martin County Courthouse

The Martin County Courthouse used the former 1909-1923 school building.  A jail was built behind the courthouse.

1926
1926
Kitching-Eckess Dept. Store

The large Kitching-Eckess Dept. Store.  To the left was built the 1926 Peacock Arcade with a hotel and stores.

1926
St Lucie Hotel

On St Lucie Avenue, the St Lucie Hotel on the left was built in 1913.  More rooms were needed so the St Lucie Hotel Annex was built in 1916 at the end of the street and along the St Lucie River.

1926
Parade

A celebration of the creation of Martin County from the northern portion of Palm Beach County and the southern end of St. Lucie County.  Parade covered several street, this portion traveling along Flagler Avenue.  The new Lyric Theatre still be constructed in the background.  It would open in March 1926.

1926
County Parade with Local Children

1926
Casa Lumber Co.

county celebration parade with many floats. This float done by Casa Lumber Co. traveling in front of the Kitching-Eckess Dept Store on Flagler Ave.  Thousands of people participated in the parade and thousands watched the parade (many coming from neighboring counties.)

1929
1929
Kimberly Apartments

The Kimberly Apartments built in 1913 along the St Lucie River on Seminole St, just beyond where the Coventry Hotel would be built in 1914.  Its name was changed to Riverview Apts by new owners in the 1930s.

1929
Lyric Theatre

The third Lyric Theatre constructed and it opened in March 1926.  First Lyric opened in 1914 and along Osceola St. beyond Belle Flora Ave. (Colorado Ave).  A larger theater was needed by 1918 and the new one was built on Railroad Ave (Flagler).  That 2nd theatre was moved one street..Read More

1929
El-Bit-Lor Apartments

The El-Bit-Lor Apartments at the intersection of 4th St (East Ocean Blvd) and High School Avenue.  The name was changed by new owners in the 1930s to Atlantic Court Apartments.  It was a popular rental apartment located next door to the Stuart High School.

1930
1930
Furniture Store

Flagler Ave along the railroad tracks.  The lots with Flagler Park between Flagler Ave and Osceola St.  The three-story building was constructed in 1927, mainly a furniture store with rental offices upstairs.  The vacant lots would not be built on until the 1940s into the early 1950s.

1930
Chisholm’s Restaurant

A popular restaurant on U. S. 1 in Stuart was Chisholm’s Restaurant. It served meals to locals and visitors as well as a meeting area for local civic organizations. It was torn down when U. S. 1 was widened in 1964.

1940
1940
France Apartments

Along Frazier Creek and across from Shepard Estate (later Shepard Park) was the three-story France Apartments built in 1927.  Each apartment is 1 bedroom, 1 bath and has remained a popular apartment complex over the decades.

1940
Lighthouse Restaurant

The Lighthouse Restaurant, with its mock lighthouse to the right, was located north of the St. Lucie River, just off of the Roosevelt Bridge.  A popular restaurant and lounge for Stuart and visitors.  It was destroyed in a fire in the late 1950s.

1949
1949
Victory Hotel

Flagler Avenue with scenes of the former Peacock Arcade, which by 1949 was named Victory Hotel (so named during the WW II war effort).  Next to the Victory is the Stuart Dept. Store, then owned by Ben Eckess.  The Victory Hotel was renamed in the 1950s, The Commodore and burned..Read More

1949
Train Depot

Looking down Flagler Avenue, the train depot on the right, the water tower in the distance, the Stuart Dept Store on the left, then St. Lucie Avenue, next the Feroe Building housing on the first floor the Rexall Drug Store, then a couple small business shops before the impressive 1926..Read More